The Ebonheart Book of the Month Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Ebonheart Book of the Month Club

Tamriel's only book club! We're a guild of casual and social friends which started in The Elder Scrolls Online, but has branched into The Secret World (Arcadia), and other games as well. Reading takes you to magical places! Well, reading and skooma....

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Briolase

Briolase
Doesn't need a J name to fit in with all the cool kids

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  Empty
PostSubject: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 am

So got an invite to the ArcheAge beta and have been playing it. I've played two characters (occulty, witchy, evil Brio and kindly, woodsy archer Dydreas - of course) up to level 10. That's not very far in this game. My initial impressions are an overall sense of MMO genericism.

But first, let me wax poetic over the character creator. That fucker is amazing. I could spend a year just playing the character creation game. You can choose the position of your pupils and even the size of your tear ducts. But all that care and attention to detail really doesn't translate well once you're in game running on low graphics due to your shitty computer. Brio is lovely, and Dydreas has a boyish charm, but only in cut scenes. The rest of the time I can't really see the size of their tear ducts.

Quests are pretty standard, go here, fetch that, kill 10 flamingos (no... really, I had to kill flamingos. I felt so guilty) type thing. So far I haven't noticed anything that stands out as above par about the lore or the story. Gameplay is still fun enough, and fast-paced. So far I haven't had to grind anything. There seems to be plenty of experience to go around, and leveling has been quick.

There is, however, no voice acting. TSW and ESO kind of have me spoiled for voice acting. I don't mind reading a game if the story is enough to keep me engaged but I don't yet know enough about the story to make a judgment on that.

I like the mounts. Humans have horses and elves have elks. Not sure what the other races have. But the elks are purdy.

Combat felt clunky at first, and targeting is tabbed, so yeah. But it gets a lot more fun as you add skill sets. Classes seem to be very customizable. There are lots of skill sets and you combine three to make a unique class. Brio combines occultism, sorcery and witchcraft. Dydo combines archery, shadowplay and I'll probably add some healing to his. So ultimately there are hundreds of "classes" and I'm a sucker for customizable builds.

PVP is forced. There are areas that are PVE only, areas that are all PVP (but have truce times) and the open seas are PVP all the time. There are naval battles and piracy.

The thing is, I get the feeling that the best this game has to offer happens waaaay after my present level. Crafting is supposed to be superb in this game, and you can build your own houses and boats.

I'll play as much as I can this weekend (depending on how much time off I end up having) and report back when I have more info. At this point I'm cautiously optimistic. So far the game seems rather linear and generic. It's pretty and entertaining, but nothing special, however the promise of all kinds of sandboxy goodness wavers seductively on the horizon.
Back to top Go down
Briolase

Briolase

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Just want to share a page that lists all 120 classes in the game. http://archeage.info/classes

Yup. 120 classes.

Brio is a demonologist (the witchcraft skill set is so much fun) and Dydreas is a Ranger (what else?)
Back to top Go down
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA "Sword Envy." Khajiit Love Slave to Profxmas
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptyFri Aug 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Yeah I think this looks really promising. Forced pvp seems kind of... not my idea of a good time, but we could also form a gang. Or a crew. Of pirates. WITH A PIRATE SHIP.

How's the beard selection in character creation?
Back to top Go down
Briolase

Briolase

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 2:43 am

Sadly, there are no full epic-looking beards, but there's a pretty decent selection of staches, goatees, nicely trimmed beards, five o'clock shadows and so on. Also, for the first time ever in any game, I was able to give dydreas the freckles he deserves.

I do like that you can ride two to a mount. I was very surprised when a guy jumped on my mount behind Brio. Actually, I think he was pretty surprised too, especially when I rode off into the sunset with him against his will.

Navigating water is a bit of a pain in the ass. I had difficulty with a rowboat. Not sure how we're going to manage a big ship. (on the plus side, I now have a rowboat). However, the navigation difficulties may also just be due to my own ineptitude. Other people seem to row very smoothly through water. I'm not discounting the possibility that I'm just retarded.

However, I've grown accustomed to games like ESO, GW2, and TSW where there's a certain amount of cooperation. You can run up and just start whaling on a large world boss without forming a party, and everyone gets a piece of the pie. Not so in Archeage. It seems very dated in that you have to form parties for a world boss (if you aren't in the party that first tagged the boss, you are locked out of even targeting it) and it looks like KSing could be very much a thing in this game, which is kind of a sad return to the bad old days. Not sure why they'd go that route but I guess it's because of the PVP atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
Hippopoctopus

Hippopoctopus
Grand Pagemaster and President for Life

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 pm

I really want to get this game....
Back to top Go down
https://epbotmc.forumotion.com
Briolase

Briolase

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm enjoying it. It has its flaws but it's entertaining and I've nearly finished building my crack-house.

I really like the skill and class system. Questing is pretty mediocre, but the higher you get in level the more other stuff there is to do. This is my second beta weekend and it's shaping up to be pretty fun.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 5:03 pm

Yeah and it's even better now that I'm playing too.

Justin, My Lord and Pagemaster Forever Amen getitgetitgetit. I'm really enjoying experimenting with class combinations.
Back to top Go down
Briolase

Briolase

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 5:21 pm

Y'ALL

Y'ALL

I FINISHED MY CRACK-HOUSE
Back to top Go down
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 6:34 pm

Screeeenshots! Post em!
Back to top Go down
Hippopoctopus

Hippopoctopus
Grand Pagemaster and President for Life

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:34 pm

Sweet! Jordan was showing me your house way earlier today, and it looked pretty cool. I love the whole non-instanced housing.,
Back to top Go down
https://epbotmc.forumotion.com
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySun Aug 24, 2014 6:50 pm

Screenshots incomiiiiiiiiiiiing.
This game has a fantastic camera mode. Ctrl F12, lets you zoom in and out with a flying camera, change angles, all that.

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  G5YZWmP
My extra-majestic Elk and I. Note the lovely phallic rock formation in the background.

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  HsWgxNy
Crashing Brio's house. Melinoe is getting some reading in.

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  3VEgJ19
All of Brio's lurvely craftsmanship.

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  0WKWbsp
Feeling rather bandity.

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  IpKiGwD
Random aircraft flyin' overhead. Maybe you guys can make that zeppelin you've always dreamed of.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptyMon Aug 25, 2014 4:25 am

Ok first off iffin any of you feel like doing some reading, here's a translation of ArcheAge lore.

So I have more screenshots. Lots and lots more. Too bad "game photographer" isn't a viable vocation in this. It could work like in the Sims... where you take a screenshot and the sim paints a copy of it... Could do landscape paintings for houses. People might buy those. Hah uh ANYWAY PICTURES!
Back to top Go down
Briolase

Briolase

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 10:50 am

Y'all. Y'all. Open beta the 4th through the 8th. Headstart on the 12th. Release on the 16th.
Back to top Go down
Fancy Feast

Fancy Feast
AKA exclarogatif. AKA

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  EmptySat Aug 30, 2014 12:27 pm

Yaaaaay! It's so much sooner than I expected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.    ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.  Empty

Back to top Go down

ArcheAge - Beta Testing it so you don't have to.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Ebonheart Book of the Month Club :: Wabbajack :: Other Games-